When my husband and I moved into our home 7.5 years ago, we assumed we’d only be here for about five years. Fast forward to today and we’ve found that a lot of the design choices we made just aren’t our style anymore, so we’ve slowly started updating the rooms in our house. Over the Christmas break, we decided to tackle the main floor bathroom which is the one that our kids use, as well as any guests. (One day I’ll have a half bath!) To give the bathroom a more finished look, we DIY’ed an old cabinet door into a custom towel rack that is sturdy and looks great too!
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
We found the cabinet door at our local ReStore for $5, brought it home and sanded it. My husband had a sanding block that worked really well, but a piece of sandpaper folded in half or an electric sander would have worked just as well.
After sanding, I wiped down the door to remove all the dust and finish that was on top and let it dry off.
To paint it, we used the same semi-gloss paint that we used to repaint the base cabinet, baseboards, crown moulding and mirror frame. The original stain on the door was pretty dark so we ended up doing a thin primer coat (see below) and 3 additional coats of paint.
I’m sure I could have used some chalk paint like I did when I repurposed an old crate into a bathroom shelf, but we wanted the finish to be the same as the rest of the bathroom. (Plus we already had the semi-gloss so we just worked with it.) We used a combination of foam brushes and rollers to paint it: foam brush for the primer coat and getting into the corners/edges and a roller to get a smooth finish on the face of the cabinet door.
Originally we planned on using a sawtooth hanger to install the towel rack, but thought it might come off the wall too easily. Instead we marked where we wanted the three hooks to go (we used this kind), drilled a hole in the middle, put some anchors into the wall and then screwed the hooks onto the rack itself to hide the anchoring screws. Let me tell you: that towel rack isn’t going anywhere without a fight! *wink*
I love how our new towel rack turned out! Using the cabinet door created the perfect base for the hooks and added an extra bit of sturdiness and style to an otherwise boring wall. In all, this project cost us about $15 ($5 for the cabinet door + $3.50/each for the hooks), which was way less than anything I found online. DIY for the win!
Speaking of DIY, today is the second Tuesday of the month, which means it’s also time for the Inspire My Creativity link party I host! Each month, I team up with 17 other crafty bloggers to share a craft or DIY that fits within the theme we’ve chosen. With it being the first month of the year, we decided to do a FREE FOR ALL so each blogger can share whatever project they want with you! You can check out each of the other co-hosts participating in the link up this month below and then feel free to add your own post to the link up as well. Remember, any type of craft or DIY project goes so don’t be shy!
[inlinkz_linkup id=812768 mode=1]
Next month, the theme will be BUTTONS!